Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
Bachelor of Arts in English Literature or BA English Literature is an undergraduateprogram in English Language and Literature.
English Literature degree helps an individual to develop thinking skills and makes them more sensitive towards the world and society. This course comprises of literature from various era and countries and spans novels, plays, poems and essays. In the language part a student is required to learn comprehension, acquire basic knowledge of Rhetoric and Prosody, and nuances of writing.
Students of English Literature can get jobs with the media as reporters. It is also possible for them to get jobs with newspaper firms. If they have a degree in journalism, they can get jobs with news broadcasting firms like NDTV, CNN – IBN, Zee News, Star News Communication etc. Companies that print out Magazines as well as journals too take in students of English literature frequently. Content development and ITES firms also recruit English post graduates. Some of the other fields besides this are Copywriter, Editor, Freelance Writer, Jobs with BPO and KPO firms, Novelist, Public Relation, Reporter, Teacher and Technical Writer.
Department of English designed the course curriculum by giving equal weightage of Theory and practical session. The department provides English literature knowledge to the students by offering Core, Skill-Based, and Elective Papers.
In core papers: Social History of England, British Poetry, Prose, History of English Literature, Drama, World Poetry, Literary Forms, Phonetics, Green Studies, Literary Criticism, Shakespeare, Indian Writing in English
Elective Courses offered are Literature, ELT, Writing Skill, Interview Skills
The modern Multimedia Language Lab will develop the confidence level of students and motivate them to use their language skills outside the classroom as well. This is one of the best techniques for students who are shy in nature and willing to develop their skills through technical aids. The modern Multimedia Lab would have a positive effect on the achievement levels of language learners in Rathinam College of Arts and Science.
The Language lab offers students access to a new world of information and proficiency through audio, courseware and multimedia CD-Rom. Audio In & Out, 17” TFT HCL Colour Monitor, 128MB NVIDIA Graphic Card is ready for doing Multimedia related jobs and 20 PCs of Wipro I Value P-IV 2.4, 845 MBD, 640 DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, 1.44FDD, 52X CD ROM, 104 Keyboards, Scroll Mouse, 15” Colour Monitor.
ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS OF LANGUAGE LAB
- Auditory Oriented: The direct sound transmission gives step by step guidance from the teacher to the heads of the students with crystal clear clarity.
- Better Attention: The Lab software is more attention enthralling for the students, where they are engaged with individual systems.
- Comprehensive quickly: The Lab increases the pace of comprehension as students coaching is purely based on the level of study.
- Damper the idea: The Lab regulates the language through the different thoughts created in the mind of the students.
- Effective learning: The lab provides to learn the foreign language practice in a focused setting that eliminates the feelings of self-consciousness.
- Focus Veracity: By using text, audio and video can easily be integrated with actuality in everyday situations.
- Guide the group: It is easy to guide the groups by monitoring each student independently without disturbing the others students.
- Have the self evaluation: the students can do a periodical self evaluation to measure the progress as well as evaluate his/her language with that of the expert.
- Independent learning: access to resources beyond the timetable encourages independent learning.
- Janitor for learners: It care takes the learners to become skilled at the language that they are learning.
- Medium of interactivity: The students can record their own voice and play back the recordings, interact with the each other and the teacher, and store the results.
- English in Mind - Level Starter, 1, 2, 3
- Face To Face - Pre Intermediate
- Face To Face – Intermediate
- Learn To Speak English
- Movie Talk English
- Face To Face – Advanced
- English Vocabulary in Use - Elementary
- English Vocabulary in Use - Pre Intermediate and Intermediate
- English Vocabulary in Use - Upper Intermediate
- English Vocabulary in Use – Advanced
- Business Vocabulary in Use – Pre Intermediate
- Business Vocabulary in Use – Intermediate
- Business Vocabulary in Use – Advanced
- English Pronunciation in Use - Elementary
- English Pronunciation in Use - Intermediate
- English Pronunciation in Use - Advanced
- Pronunciation Power 1 & 2
- Essential Grammar in Use
- Murphy’s Grammar
- Grammar in Use Advanced
- Grammar in Use Extra
- Active Grammar – Level 1, 2, 3
- Being Interviewed - Preparing for the interview.
- Curriculum vitae writing
- Group Discussion
- Manage Time
- Manage Stress
This club organizes various debates and discussions on topics of social relevance and issues of current relevance both in English. This is devoted to promoting opportunities for the students interested in the English and various aspects of the cultures respectively. This club identifies good speakers and trains them to become great speakers.
WORKSHOP AND CONFERENCE
- Organized a one day A National Level Workshop on Innovation in Teaching English (Teaching Aids) on 31st January 2018.Organized a Two day International Level Conference on Emerging Revolutionary Advancements in English Language Teaching (ERA-ELT) on 17th & 18th February 2017.
- Organized a One day State Level Workshop on Learn English Online on 16th September 2016.
- Organized a One day National Level Workshop on Different Dimensions and Strategies in Public Speaking on 19th January 2016.
- Organized a Two day National Level Workshop on Emerging Revolutionary Advancements in English Language Teaching (ERA-ELT) on 7th & 8th August 2015.M
- Communication English